Along with all the improvements and additional features, version 1.7 of PrestaShop also arrived with a revamped Administration Area. While it doesn’t deviate too much from the previous versions, seasoned users of PrestaShop 1.6 may occasionally have trouble navigating the back-office.
If you recently upgraded to 1.7 and need a bit of help getting around, this short guide is for you! And if there’s anything we missed, let us know in the comments and we’ll gladly point you to the right direction.
Understanding the three main sections of the menu
The main menu has been revamped and divided into three main sections which reflect the action you may want to undertake. Just think about what you want to achieve and in the majority of cases, this will fit into one of the three main areas.
The first section is named SELL and it concerns the day-to-day activity on the store. Here you will find the Orders, Product catalogue, Customers, Customer service and Stats. Basically, the entire process of making a sale is encompassed in this area, from creating a product to managing orders and handling feedback from the clients.
The second section is rightfully called IMPROVE and it contains everything your need to take your store further and make your business grow. This is where you will find Modules, Shipping, Design Settings, Payment and the International section (formerly Localization).
The third section is CONFIGURE and it is intended for advanced users, containing your Shop Parameters and Advanced Parameters.
What has moved in PrestaShop 1.7 and where did it go?
Version 1.6 has been around for over four years giving its users enough time to “learn the lay of the land” and quickly find their way through the admin. The revamp which came with 1.7 reordered and renamed a few elements and from our own experience of getting a bit lost at first, we will try to answer the most common questions after upgrading to the PrestaShop 1.7.
Where are the price rules and cart rules?
- In the SELL section, under Catalog, renamed to “Discounts” by default. There are now two tabs which you can use to switch between Cart Rules and Catalog Price rules. The tabs are easy to miss at first but they are used throughout the new back-office so make sure you look out for them in case you don’t find what you’re looking for.
Where are the Shopping Carts?
- These are no longer under “Customers”, you will find them in the “Orders” sub-menu if you want to check the abandoned carts in your store.
I can’t find the Merchandise Returns!
- They are no longer under “Orders”. Returns are considered a Customer Service issue and have been moved there.
Where have the CMS settings gone?
- The old “Preferences” are gone and the CMS settings are now found in the IMPROVE section under “Design” -> “Pages”. They have been renamed to Pages so don’t look for CMS.
Where are the Image Settings?
- Image Settings are also under “Design”.
Where are the Theme settings?
- You can find the Theme settings under Design, the option is named “Theme & Logo” now.
I can’t find Payment and Positions under “Modules”
- Payment is its own category in the IMPROVE SECTION while Positions can now be found under “Design”.
Where is Localization?
- There is a new category named International which contains all the localization options for your store. These options have been grouped into 4 sub-categories: Localization, Locations, Taxes and Translations. These are further divided into sub-categories but don’t worry if it seems complicated, we’ll detail everything below. Just make sure you pay attention to the tabs.
- The first subcategory is Localization and it contains the following tabs with functions similar to the 1.6 counterparts: Localization, Languages, Currencies and Geolocation (which was previously found under Preferences).
- The second subcategory is Locations and it contains the Zones, Countries and States (or Counties) in separate tabs.
- Third is Taxes containing two tabs for Taxes and Tax Rules.
- Finally you have the Translations section which has more or less the same options as previous PrestaShop versions.
Where are the SEO & URL Options?
- They have been renamed to Traffic & SEO and can be found under Shop Parameters.
Where can I edit the shop’s Contact Information?
- There is a Contact option within Shop Parameters and it contains two tabs. The first one is where you can set the email addresses that receive messages through the Contact Form (this was previously found under Customers). The second tab is named Stores and this is where you can add the main contact information as well as addresses for your stores.
How can I make a database backup?
- Advanced Parameters has a Database which has two tabs, the first one is SQL Manager and the second one is DB Backup which you can use if you want to create a backup of your database.
Where can I edit the order Statuses and change the Order Preferences?
- Under Shop Parameters you will find Order Settings which includes two tabs. The first one is Order settings which includes checkout options, minimum purchase, gift wrapping, etc. The second tab contains the Statuses and has similar options to PrestaShop 1.6.
Hopefully we covered the most frequent questions from new PrestaShop 1.7 users regarding the menu. But if you have trouble reaching something specific and cannot find it above, sound off in the comments and we’ll gladly direct you to where you need to be. And if you’re considering an Upgrade to PrestaShop 1.7, get in touch and we will make it happen!